Finding Your Passion

More often than not, finding your passion can be a very daunting and harrowing process. Knowing what you are interested in is one thing, but finding your "goal" in life in another. Frequently, we can see that people spend years and years trying out various aspects of something in order to find their goal in life. That's the caveat though. Selecting a domain is easy. Finding your passion in the domain is what breaks most people.

Taking music for example. You got a guitar as a birthday gift and you start getting into music. You see this endless portal of epic-ness that is rock and roll. You dream about becoming a rock star when you grow up. You start practicing everyday and finally get better at guitar. You start performing live and gain a few followers. However, soon you will realize that it's not as simple as that. You start to realize that it's been 5 years since you had the dream of making it in music but you've barely even scratched the surface. How did that happen? That is a big blow to any person's confidence. Usually, it makes most of the people quit their dreams and search for a more conventional job. What they fail to realize is that it's not the music industry that is to blame. It's the fact that not may people in the world are talented and indeed lucky enough to be rock stars. Not everyone can be a performer. Someone has to be an audio producer, a band manager, a venue host, a jazz player, etc. Bottom line, there are millions of things you can do in music. If you fail in one aspect, you can always try something else.



For myself, I found that I was not meant to be a performer when I started making music cover videos and posting them on social media. No one (except friends and family of course) thought that my content had that "it" factor. Yes I was very upset and yes my confidence was at an all time low, however I was determined to have a career in music. Since I was little, I was into collecting technological gear. Due to this interest in gear, I soon found the wonderful world of audio engineering. I collected all the money I could and bought an audio interface and headphones. I started learning how to record, mix and master. I spend hours trying to perfect my tunes. That's when I figured out that I enjoyed audio production more than I did performing.

Even now I might necessarily no t have a career in music (since i'm doing bachelors in computer science- how did that happen?), but I know in my heart that I have something I can pursue with a passion. I can give it my all and if it doesn't work, then I can have the peace of mind that I tried all I could to make it in music. I think I could live with that.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Classical guitar vs Acoustic Guitar - Which one is right for you?

Kaleidoscope: A music academy in Nepal

Purple Haze